Community Medicine Department
Following Postgraduate Orientation lectures were delivered during the month of October 2009: -
Date Topic Speaker
05.10.09 Nano-Medicine Dr.O.P.Gupta
12.10.09 Enzyme Inhibitors as Therapeutic Agents Dr.O.P.Gupta.
19.10.09 Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Dr.D.S.Charak
26.10.09 Collection of Sample and Transportation Mrs.Poonam Slathia.
The Departmnt of Ophthalmology organized a C.M.E., giving an update on “PHACOEMULSIFICATION” in the College Auditorium on 24th October 2009. Dr.Dinesh Malhotra and Dr.R.D.Sood, Associate Professors were the Speakers on the following topics: -
S.No. Speakers Topics
1. Dr.Dinesh Malhotra Phacoemulcifiction, historical and Fluidics.
2. Dr.R.D.Sood Advantages of Phacoemulcification and Phaco in different situations.
The C.M.E. was very informative & educative and attended by a large number of faculty members and residents.
1) Dr.D.B.Shrma, Professor & Head attended Pediatric Conference of North India (PCN) held at New Delhi from 23rd to 25th September 2009. He also chaired a Scientific Session on Parental Nutrition.
2) Dr.M.P. Mahato, Associate Professor attended International Conference on “Pediatric Epilepsy & Neurological Disorders” held at Chandigarh from 29th Oct 09 to 1st Nov 09.
3) Dr.Ravinder Kumar Gupta, Associate Professor attended 12th Annual Conference of IAP Infectious Diseases Chapter and 11th Annual Conference of IAP Mumbai at Hotel Ramada, Powai, Mumbai from 30th October to 1st November 2009. About 500 delegates from different parts of the country took part in this scientific proceeding. New emerging diseases and their varied clinical presentations were discussed in depth. Various newer modalities in the management of different infectious diseases were also discussed in detail. He got an opportunity to interact with experts and shared the views regarding the policy being followed in our institution regarding the management of various infectious diseases.
HEALTH CARE PROGRAMMES
(a) Free Medical Camp
156th Free Eye, Gynae and Paediatrics camp was organized by ASCOMS & Hospital at Village Slaher, Tehsil Bishnah on 26th October 2009. In the camp Dr.Manisha Sethi, Asstt Prof. & Dr.Sunita Kumari, Jr. Resident from Ophthalmology Deptt, Dr.Vikas Sharma, Jr. Resident Paediatrics Deptt. and Dr.Anjli, Jr.Resident from Gynae. Deptt. examined large number of patients. Free medicines were also distributed to the needy.
17 patients were also booked for free cataract operation and Intra-ocular implantation with small incision surgery at ASCOMS Hospital.
(b) Total Elbow Replacement Surgery
A team of doctors led by Dr.Abdul Ghani, performed total elbow replacement on Smt.Kartaro Devi, 65 years old lady who had sustained fracture dislocation of her elbow one and half years ago and was operated elsewhere in the past but without any success. She reported to ASCOMS Orthopedic Department in a virtually crippled condition, as she was unable to use this arm ever since her injury. She was operated on 5th October 2009 by orthopedic surgeons Dr.Abdul Ghani and Dr.S.Gulati. The other team members included Dr.Kuldeep Gupta, Dr.Rasmeet, Dr.Rohit Gupta, Dr.Asim Khan, Mr.Bihari Lal Dhar, Mr.Vishal Gupta, Mr.Chamail Singh and Mr.Vishal Kumar. Total elbow replacement is very rarely performed surgery and has been successfully done probably for the first time in Jammu & Kashmir.
The patient, Smt. Kartaro Devi is recovering well and making good progress.
(c) U.T.H.C. Chatha
102 patients were examined in the General OPD. 27 patients were referred to different specialties of ASCOMS & Hospital for further investigations and treatment.
(d) Service Activity
On 14th October 2009, Prof. R.N.Dubey and Prof. V.K.Bhan of Community Medicine Department attended P.N.D.T. (Pre-natal Sex Determination Test) meeting at Govt. Medical College Jammu.
Results of Final Prof. MBBS Examination (Regular Session) 2009, Batch 2004-05 which was held in July/August 2009 has been declared on 14th October 2009. The details of result in respect of ASCOMS & Govt. Medical College Jammu are given below: -
It is noteworthy that overall 2nd, 4th, 5th & 6th positions amongst the students of Govt. Medical College Jammu and ASCOMS have been clinched by following students of our college: -
Roll No. Name Marks Position Distinction
2418 Syed Sehrish Asgar 1696 2nd -
2415 Saniya Sharma 1685 4th -
2428 Tulika Gupta 1677 5th Paediatrics
2416 Sonali Sharma 1669 6th -
FREE TREATMENT TO PATIENTS BELONGING TO ECONOMICALLY WEAKER SECTIONS
During the period from 1st October to 31st October 2009, 64 patients were admitted and given free treatment in accordance with the norms prescribed by J&K Govt.
No.ASCOMS/MNL/065/59 Date: 27.11.2009